Tuesday, March 31, 2009

CHILLY SUNNY DAY

I could never figure out if it was warm or cold today. In the shade it was cold as heck but step 3 feet out into the sun and you had to take your jacket off. Clear blue sky, light breeze. I really wish I didn't have to work.


A bit of bad news though. I have talked about my sis who is the single mother of a disabled son..she is going through radiation treatments for cancer. Her son has 2 compression fractures of his spine. He is now in the hospital. It just never lets up with my sis. Her life is very hard.


When I got home today, I planted 10 sequoia strawberry plants and 1 marigold plantling. The marigolds are ones that I started in the seed box with the sunflowers. I have just been lazy about transplanting them.



We had a storm last night and it seems like the perfect amount of rain. Not too much.


All the tomatos peppers and herbs seem to be ok and not going into shock. I spread a wheelbarrow full of compost around them. I will spread more later when they are bigger.


I also planted 3 rows of soybeans. I love steamed soybeans and I hope they do well. Tomorrow I will decide where to plant my cukes. I may plant them in pots next to my fence and let them climb.


I don't know how long it should be before my peas should begin to show blooms. They are about 6-8 inches high and no blooms. They are struggling with climbing up the fencing. They seem to prefer getting tangled with each other.


I just finished dinner. Look at the onions on the side of the plate. These are the wild eqyption walking onions. I cut a bunch last week and dehydrated them. That worked wonderful. Today there were several growing in my flower bed and I intended just to pull them up and throw them. Then I saw how beautiful the heads were. They were delicious. Herb salad, alfredo pasta and broccoli, and raw crunchy green beans.




I am watching Nugget eat some grass that my daughter gave him. He is lonely. I may bring in one of the little roosters to be with him. I will have to cover him with Vicks Vapor Rub.




Well time to catch up on emails blogs and forums.

3 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

I am sorry about your sister. :( The garden and everything sounds like it is going well! I need to work on seedlings today. Why Vics on the chicken?

Tipper said...

So sorry about your sister's son-I'll say a prayer for them both!

Sounds like you're getting lots of gardening done-it's been way to rainy here-but we need the rain so that is good.

Tracy Bruring said...

Jennifer I left the answer to that on your blog. Tipper thank you for the prayers. Very much.