Friday, March 27, 2009

WINTER WIND AND BOX TRUCKS

Wow what happened to spring???? 39 degrees and dropping. 40+ mph winds. Holy cow. I picked a good day to rent a box truck.

I JUST got home. It is almost 10pm. I left work at 5. I went at lunch and rented a 14' box truck because they are the only ones with a ramp. I was to pick up a free A frame from craigslist and then go to pick up the freezer from mom and dad.

Who has ever driven down Hwy 75 during rush hour. Ok, try it in 40 mph wind in a box truck. It took me 30 minutes to get 5 miles. I found the site and someone had already taken it. So I turn around and head toward mom and dad's right at 40 mile away. Yep had to get on another freeway...still rush hour. I didn't get frustrated at all because I was not in a hurry. Mind you I prayed over the truck the whole way. With a power steering pump ready to go out at any moment, a truck stereo with dash board speakers...one of which had a loose wire, and wind whose goal was to turn that truck on it's side...it was kinda fun.

Got to mom and dads, got out and set up the ramp. Ok did you know I am afraid of heights? I can't get more than 3 rungs up on a ladder....well the top of that ramp is about that and I would be wheeling a 10 ton ancient deep freeze. But when I saw my dad trying to get it I decided to suck it up and do it because I was afraid he would hurt himself.

He guided and I pulled backwards. I did it!!! I headed home hoping that my daughter would be there to help guide it out. I figured if she wasn't by gosh I would get it out and into the house somehow. Thank goodness for the dolly.

She pulled in just as I did with the grandboys. These two little boys got a kick out of their old nanna and their frozen mom trying to get this freezer in the house.



But we did it!!! Woooohooo I have a freezer.

And to top it off....the boys had so much fun running in and out of the box truck, it was worth the wind.





I have to work tomorrow but wont go in until noon. I am going to drink coffee, go to the feed store and if the wind has stopped, drag some of the bags of grass up to the road for pick up.

Stay warm all who are suffering in this spring cold.

2 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Hooray! That is too bad the A frame was gone. Glad you were successful with the freezer moving! A little determination can go a long way! :) The boys are too cute playing in the truck. Kind of like kids at Christmas playing with the boxes instead of the toys. I think kids are great at making their own fun! Have a great Day! :)

Tracy Bruring said...

lol a little determination and $100 for a box truck!!