Friday, March 20, 2009

SPENDING ADDICT AND CHICK VIDEOS

Ok last week I began to bring my lunches to work. Average cost for a lunch is $2. That includes entree with protein source and salad. I bring breakfast too. 1/2 a bagel with heart smart butter, coffee and 1/2 an apple.

Also I have been bypassing the fancy coffee shops and drinking the free stuff at work, and no fast food (except for the golden arches fiasco a couple of days ago with my grand kids and their best friend from the planet Jupiter)

I can not believe how much money I have left in my checking. It is still a week to payday but I have all the food I need until then except for salad. I will get one more box. (man I can't wait until I can grow my own).

But during this process, I am harrassed constantly by my own mind! Constantly there is a little voice in my head when I pass Starbucks, Wendys, Sonic....just a Frap? just a diet limeaide? This "audio" plays in my head non stop when I am in my car. I don't know if it is passing all the billboards, ads, or just being out.

I feel like I am in a battle of tug-o-war with someone. But you know what by gosh? I won last weeks battle and the week before. I will continue to fight this battle. Because it is the only way I am going to be able to get ahead.

My mind has graduated to "the HGTV audio/video"...this is even harder to fight. Because I have such great things in mind for my farm. Both things to make it prettier and things to make it more functional.

Raiding my friends debris pile is helping because I know I am gaining building supplies which I will use. It also gives me something to do that doesn't cost anything. Both digging through the pile and using it to build with. I can't wait until I finish my first free project.

I hope that I finally some day get to the place where I am good at living cheap/frugal.

I believe I have done well on the propane tank out back. I think it has been almost a year since I filled it up and it is only a 250 gallon tank.

I have only spent 65 on wood this year as almost all of my firewood has been free.

Wow this is sooo hard. I am amazed.

Anyway, I left work late and had to feed horses. Didn't get home until after 7:30. So there was just enough daylight left to take some videos, photos and feed water and gather my 3 green eggs. The chicks are getting so big. Can you believe they are only 1 month and 1 week old?






I had a huge treat for all the chickens tonight. Where I keep my horse, the owners have a poorly maintained flower bed. It has become overgrown with crown vetch and weeds! Vetch is very healthy for animals. So I got a bag and pulled up a whole grocery sack full and gave some to the grown and the baby chicks.




Here is a video of them enjoying themselves. Look at the happy full crops!

Then I leaned on the chicken house while my dinner cooked and listened to the quiet. My grand kids had to go home today. I will miss them so much. But the farm was sooo quiet.

My wish for all of you? Find Frugality Easy and enjoy a peaceful warm spring weekend.

Tomorrow night? Late St. Paddy's Day party at my daughters boyfriends house. He makes his own hard cider. Yum.

4 comments:

Leasmom said...

Oh, they're beautiful! They look so happy!!!

Peggy said...

Well done on sticking to the home made lunches! It is easy and comvenient to buy on the way to work but add up the yearly cost and you will be staggered. The chicks are looking good.

Tracy Bruring said...

Thank you Patrice and Peggy. Yep I gave the chicks another load of green weeds today and they act as if I never feed them. Peggy I think when I can I may go back and do just that. Add up what I have spent on fast food in the past year.

Faith said...

We never went out to eat when I was a kid. Never stopped for drinks. We really went all out for a little while and went out to lunch at Denny's after church with friends, maybe for a couple of years, but that was pretty special.

Now it seems that every time we go to town it's like you are pulled to eat, to drink, to spend money. It's incredible! I'm trying to pull back from that.