Saturday, March 7, 2009

SATURDAY MORNING POST

What a cool morning. Woke up to 65 degrees and when the sun came up while the coffee was brewing, there were thunderheads to the east all pink. Out side was a cacophony of bird song from all over the farm. It is for sure spring. I took my first cup outside to just listen and breathe deep. The local mocking birds are swooping and diving and fighting each other over territories.

Out back Studmuffin is crowing up a storm and I can hear the happy sounds of the hens. I can't stand it. I have to get started. so far here is what I have gotten done. Not as much before work because I laid in bed too long.

I opened up the outside run so the babies could enjoy the warm spring weather. What happy chickies they are. This really makes me happy. You know how I feel about animals living a good life before they go into the freezer.





I started giant sunflowers and marigolds in the seed box and plugged it in out in front of the chickens. I moved the tomatolings out to the work table under the pine tree and watered them. There they will get dappled sunlight but right now it is very cloudy.



I hung up a bird house. This one I made by drilling out an old fence post. The chickadees love it.


I forget the name of this onion...it grows wild on my place and produces buds that turn into another onion plant that produces buds and so on. The buds are wonderful in salad. I will pick the front salad tomorrow and the buds for dinner.



The glads are getting ready to burst into bloom.


The bradford pears are blooming....what a useless tree.



And my wild plums are blooming. Now if the ice storms will just stay away.






These I will cut down and dig out so that there is no fence there.




I cleaned the kitchen and the living room. And now I am going to get ready for work. I have a party to go to tonight and want to get home early enough to do some more fun chores!


4 comments:

Leasmom said...

Sounds like a good day!

Jennifer said...

I love your pictures of the signs of spring! Round here, I get excited when I see a Robin or hear the Canadian Geese honking overhead.

Studmuffin? I love it! LOL

Peggy said...

You have coined a new word ,'tomatolings'! it is great to see the first signs of Spring arriving and I hope the ice storms stay away from your holding as you have so much coming on .

Tracy Bruring said...

Thank you guys. I really would be happy this year not to see any more cold weather. I know summer is hot here but I am ready for it!!!