Wednesday, March 11, 2009

WINTER OR SPRING???

Ok right now it is pouring rain and 40 outside with a wind coming out of the NE at about 30mph. Yesterday it was 80 almost til I went to bed.

Here is how my day ran.....even rainy it was better than my sisters day yesterday. :)

10pm Tue....it's hot! Went to bed with the windows open....yep all of them.

3:30am...woke up with a roaring NE wind whipping through the house at 40 degrees F.
first thought?....OMG the baby chicks have no heater on! And the brooder box is open
to the outside run! So I throw on a robe over my summer jammies, grab my screw
gun and my flash light and race out to the chick house...poor babies were all huddled
up and cold. They were so happy as soon as I screwed up a board over the hole and
turned on the heater. I went ahead and filled all the foods and water while I was out
there....wide awake now!

6am.........got to work
3:30pm...left work...pouring rain and cold! Long drive home
4:30pm..got home, changed clothes in a freezing house, fed the shivering kitties and went out
to do chores: feed and water babies...they are happy as bugs, feed and water my poor
grown hens...that hen house really leaks badly (very little area that doesn't have
standing water in it--but I got 5 eggs), filled a bag full of dry pine cones (remember
on the to do list...pick them up and put them in a water tight container?) filled the
wagon up with dry fire wood from the shed and unloaded it on the front porch, got
starter wood too (that was wet), started a fire, picked up the living room a bit, started
3 eggs boiling for dinner, added more fire wood, went outside (yes in the pouring rain)
to pick the following for dinner:

wild garlic buds (this is kind of like an egyptian onion only more delicate)



lettuce from the front garden



I washed the lettuce and sliced fresh boiled eggs on top, sauted in olive oil the garlic buds and celery, added basalmic vinegar, a dash of worchestershire sauce and soy sauce, and poured it over the salad hot and made a wonderful wilted salad.




While I wait for my water to boil for herbal tea and honey, I will do the dishes and add more wood to the fire.

It isn't supposed to get below freezing so I don't have to cover anything but it sure is cold feeling. But a very nice evening to sit and enjoy a fire.

2 comments:

Leasmom said...

You have food already. So cool!! We have spring/winter or spri-winter. Looks warm but freezing cold.

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Beautiful harvest! :)