Thursday, March 12, 2009

YUK COLD GLOOMY DAY

I believe it rained at least 3-4 inches here yesterday with more to come tomorrow. The orchard was standing water and my driveway was full. I guess we will get our whole years worth at one time.

My poor chickens. The hen house leaks so bad it was a pond inside. There was only a small part...maybe 1/4 of the hen house that was dry. That had the hanging food bucket and the water bucket there.

They still gave me 5 eggs yesterday but only two today. When I got home the wind had died enough to open the door to the outside run so I walked in the field and picked them a 5 gallon bucket of green weeds and threw it out in the run. Then while they were busy outside, I moved in a large piece of siding and placed it up on bricks so there was a larger place for them out of the standing water. I am going to have to do some serious work there. I am going to price a dump truck of top soil and plan on bringing the floor level up. Then I will dig a trench to guide the water that leaks toward the outside. I know as soon as I do all of this there will not be any more rain.

I can take the extra top soil and mix it with compost and use it in the raised beds.

Grand boys are coming this weekend. It should be nice by Saturday...up to 70 degrees F. We are going to a robotics competition which should be fun. It is in Dallas.

I plan on hiring John to come and do some work for me. I want to find a lumber salvage place around here and maybe get cheaper 2x12x8 for my raised beds. I still need about 10 and the garden area really needs work.

I don't know if I should do battle with the grass around the beds and spray and mulch them...or do I give up and mow and weedeat and keep the grass?

I believe I will have to do the garden fence on my own. My daughters boyfriend is just too busy.

I also may build a chicken tractor. I have a whole field to run them in. I would like to hear from others in TX though to see how they deal with fire ants.

I traded 2 dozen eggs for 4 antique irons (the kind you press clothes with). Same guy I bought the mesquite from last week. He came and picked up the 2nd dozen today. I love bartering. They are rusty

Sunday I may get my grand kids to help me expand the fire pit to the shape of a guitar. Then we will be ready to cook out.

Right now I am trying to sort through coupons and make a shopping list.

Hope it is spring were you are!

1 comment:

Leasmom said...

Omg you bartered for 4 irons...unbelievable. Good Trade, you came out ahead!!!