Sunday, May 17, 2009

VISITORS---UPDATED

I was fighting with the weedeater and finally turned it off and came around to get my battery powered one and this is what I saw right in the back yard. Visitors to the farm.






Ok I have to admit something to you. Over the past few days I have been toying with the idea of selling my place, buying land in OK and a little city house not far from work. I have had these moments before. Why am I all the way out here? Why am I breaking my back for this?

Then something cool happens. This time it was this.








I haven't given up on thinking about selling, but on days like today....71 degrees, bright blue sky, sunny and breezy, it is harder to think about selling this place.

And as you can see in these photos, one of my wild hairs today was to built a ramp and tie open the door to the meat beasties. I am out of food and don't want to go to the store. I am just not in the mood to slaughter today with so much storage stuff to sort clean and get on craigs list. Some have been brave and some haven't. The Pearl Guineas fit themselves right in. I hope they stay.





****UPDATE****9:30PM

I wish I had my camera when I came home this evening. When I got out of my car and started walkng toward the chicken house all 40 chickens came hauling hiney toward me. I thought I was going to die right then and there. They all stopped at my feet waiting to be fed including the 2 Guineas

Oh...my youngest grandson said to me as we pulled out of the driveway...while looking at them in the orchard...."Nanna I really like Goonies"....I said..."I really like Goonies too." What else could I say?

Anyway, they all followed me to the hen house and I threw out some cracked corn and sunflower seeds. I didn't know Goonies liked corn.

Then they did something really cool. See them in the tree?

I guess just for tonight this is home.

3 comments:

Faith said...

I live in the country because I love to be surrounded by beauty; surrounded by things that remind me of the Creator; to keep my whole existence tied to reality.

The real stuff of providing a home, food, all you need from land, rather than going somewhere else to trade labor for paper bits to trade paper bits for home, food, and all you need from the land.

It's harder to do these days, but the closer I am to it, the more real I feel. The happier I am.

I did a stint in a city, a stint in town... I was most unhappy.

I had about 60 pearls some years ago... I didn't want that many but it was due to a couple of slip-ups by the hatchery, and the fact that you have to have so many keets shipped at once. Noisy.

I wish I had two or three though. I really hope yours stay too!

~Faith

Caddie said...

Please tell me what you are to do with the dandelion root. I am quite interested in this plant. My email address is on my blog if you have time to write me. You are to go into my favorites list so I can dwell deep into it in time. Sissy /carolyn

Tracy Bruring said...

Sissy welcome aboard. I did send you and email but for the people here who may want the answer I will post here too. Dandelion root can be roasted and ground into a coffee substitute or some call it tea. Herb books state that it is a blood purifier. The leaves of course are edible while young and the flowers are wonderful dipped in fritter batter and fried and then sprinkled with powdered sugar.