Thursday, April 30, 2009

CHICKS, NEPHEW, AND FOOD STORAGE

NEPHEW UPDATE: PLEASE KEEP PRAYING FOR HIM. HE IS BECOMING VERY DEPRESSED. HE STARTED CRYING TODAY WHICH MADE HIS MOM CRY. WHEN SHE FIGURED OUT WHY....HE TOLD HER HE WAS SAD BECAUSE HE DIDN'T THINK HE WOULD EVER GET TO EAT FOOD AGAIN. HE HAS NOT EATEN ...WELL AS OF TOMORROW IT WILL BE 3 WEEKS. THE LIQUID THEY ARE FEEDING HIM THROUGH A TUBE IS JUST BARELY KEEPING HIM ALIVE. THEY ARE STILL TRYING TO WEAN HIM OFF OF THE VENTILATOR.

I came home tonight after a bout of severe chest pains which I am hoping is simply stress, and had my daughter help me unload the 100# of chicken food and pour it into the holding can. I talked to the guy at Wells Brothers in Plano, and he said with the chicks doing this, he would put them back on crumbles and just feed the heck out of them. So tonight I filled their feeders and let them pig out. This was the first time I found everyone laying down and not asleep but lethargic with full tummies. Lesson learned. Feed them to death until they go into the freezer. It isn't worth taking them off of the baby food.

The evening was very beautiful. Birds were flying everywhere on my property either singing trying to find a mate or having found one, now working on the nest. The bluebird momma must be now sitting as most of the time I only see daddy finding bugs and carrying them to the bird house. I always get distracted at this point. Do they feed momma on the nest?

The rain although being great for my garden has caused mildew in the sweet peas. Too much cloudy cool weather I guess. The tomatos all have flowers since I pruned the lower branches off. I am still pinching the flowers till they get some more size. The pumpkin patch is exploding and so are the squashes. I will need to treat for stink bugs soon as they like this stage.

I cut a whole large bowl of fresh salad, washed it and spun it dry and put it into two salvaged salad boxes that I saved with a paper towel in the bottom.

Then I peeled 5 large bunches of bananas, dipped them into lemon juice and laid them on cookies sheets in the freezer. Tomorrow I will vacume seal them and put them back into the freezer.

Tomorrow or Saturday I will start the first batch of eggs in the incubator. I will have all of my grand kids here to help.

Then I listened to The Survival Podcast. The is a Texas Prepper guy who has some interesting opinions and good information to be prepared for anything and how to get prepared. The first pod cast I listened to was 181 except for a couple in the past and then forgot about. I have been making a habit to listen every night. I have a lot to catch up on though.

going to bed. thank you all for the prayers for sis and her son

4 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

I can only imagine how depressing it would be to go through a serious illness. :( Prayers and hugs for him and all of you. Take care of yourself too! Don't need you in the spital' too. :)

What do you use for the stink bugs? We had them last year.

ChristyACB said...

My continued good wishes for your nephew and the rest of your family.

Tracy Bruring said...

Jennifer, I have always used 7 dust on the squash. Not sure how toxic it is so I won't use it on stuff like lettuce. But with stink bugs, once you actually see a stink bug it is probably too late. They will have laid their eggs inside the hollow stalks and you will begin to see them wilt.

thank you christy

Ruth Trowbridge said...

This is my first visit to your blog. What a time you are having of it - I am an excellent prayer and mine will be for you and your family. I was very touched by you blog, thank you for your story. Peace for all