Monday, April 20, 2009

FIRST SPRING SALAD


Here is my first spring salad. Added to it are radishes my dad gave me. They are not hot at all. I added sliced storebought strawberries too, and fresh dill and parsley from my garden.

Did you know that parsley is a perinnial? I didn't know that. I have one pot that has been filled with snow, flooded with rain, and it still keeps growing.

Parsley is a medicinal powerhouse. It is a blood purifier and helps eliminate water. I have used it on my kids when they woke up with pink eye. I would make tea out of it and cool it and when it was just warm, use a cotton ball to wash their eyes out. I didn't understand why they loved it so much until I got pink eye once and used it. It was heaven.

Dill has a use for soothing a tense stomach.

I love both of these herbs. We forget that in the beginning, adding these wasn't always for taste but was for a health reason.

When I get my herbs going well, I will hang a pole in the laundry room and will begin to hang them to dry. I am saving pill bottles and having my parents do this too. I will store my herbs in these and seeds also.

Well I have some house work to do and need to go to bed. Early day tomorrow.

Update on my nephew and sister: He is having a trachiatomy (sp?) tomorrow. This will help the doctors get the vent tube out and get him unsedated which he has to be so he can begin breathing on his own again. Thank you all for your prayers.

2 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Yum! That looks great!! I didn't know parsley is a P either. Glad to hear that your nephew is moving forward! (I am an LPN) Continued prayers for him, and your sis. (((hugs)))

Leasmom said...

Oh that looks so good!!! Congrats on the first salad!!!