Sunday, April 19, 2009

SPARKLING SUNSHINE-BLUE SKIES AND STOCK UP

Wow what an amazing day. Except it is a little windy and cool yet. I can't believe how much the grass around the garden beds grew this week.

Still no blooms on the peas though. I will give them one warm week...if it ever gets that warm.


Here are pictures of my stock up cabinet. Still more empty than full.





The top holds sugars, a glue gun and bottles for home made liquid laundry soap.


The next shelf has wild dehydrated onions, chips and gum...





Canning salt (which needs to be moved to the bottom with the canning jars), pickled eggs and onions, evap milk, oils and shortenings, canned fruits, coffes and misc canned items.

Next holds paper towels, tissues, tooth pastes, soaps, Q-tips, deodorants, shampoos and conditioners,




and cat foods,



Bottom shelf holds canning jars and washing soda and borax--I planned on making a large batch of laundry soap tonight. We will see how it goes at the hospital today.




You can see many empty plastic bottles which I have saved and will use to store my homemade laundry soap. One thing I don't have yet on the shelves is water. I need to store inside at least 50 gallons of drinking water. Still working on a water storage system.



Here is the pumpkin patch. 8 plants are up and healthy looking.







These are zuchinni I think. The wind has blown all my markers away.





The rear tomato plants are looking great. I hope they produce a lot.




The sunflowers are doing good...crooked but good. And look at the beautiful red clover like wild flower. I need to look up what kind this is.




I have started a book on CD called One Second After. On my way from the book store, to feed horses, I stopped at Kroger to buy canning jars. While down one of the long isles, all the power went out. It was pitch black and everyone started screaming, laughing, talking loud, yelling for their kids. It took a full 15 seconds or more for the emergency lighting to come on. I just held my purse tight and waited. The emergency lighting started up but was seriously pulsing. About 2 minutes later the lights came back on...checkers were calling for managers...people were laughing.
But since I just bought this book it made me wonder what we would do if this was it....if there would be no more power.
Yesterday I read another blog that stated he would unhook the battery and ground the car so it would work after an EMP.
But it made me come home and look at my shelves. Am I ready? Will I ever be? Water will be my main issue. I seriously have to begin collecting rain water.

6 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

It may not be full yet, but your storage looks great! And tidy! :)I'll have to check out that book. It is scary to think about "what if?". I think that is why it is smart to be prepared...to ease the "what if?" fears. Rhonda on down-to-earth blog had an excellent post about water storage a few days ago. Did you see it?

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

In case you didn't see it...here is the link. :)

http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2009/04/water-harvesting-self-reliance.html

We have a well on top of public water...I often think we could use it if we had to, but it probably needs tested or something? There are at least 2 more wells beside that one that I know of on the property that have water in them. Maybe we should look into that.

Tipper said...

Looks like you are well on your way to filling the shelves. The power outage thoughts-I have them too.

Tracy Bruring said...

Thank you Jen for the great blog link. Very good info on water storage. Tipper don't we all.

ChristyACB said...

I got One Second After almost as soon as it came out and devoured that book. I cried like a baby through it too.

It changed me. I was a different person afterwards. That is how profoundly it affected me.

And, unlike me, I wrote about it on HomesteadingToday.com and on my blog. If I could afford it, I would buy hundreds of copies and give them away.

Faith said...

I always hope that if EMPs are going to be used, somehow it will be a global thing. LOL Push us all back to horse and buggy days.

Interestingly, in the prophecies of the Bible, the battles are said to be fought on horseback... Fits well with a large EMP scenario.

~Faith