Monday, April 27, 2009

RAIN, FLU, AND A VERY GREEN FARM

Ok after listening to the news on the swine flu, and coming to work and hearing a girl hocking up loogies (sorry!) I am completly freaked out and my hypocondria is kicking in.
^
Boy did it rain today. We got probably 2 inches and I can hear my grass growing. I love this stage of spring because everything is so green. My peas are growing and filling in. Don't think we will get a huge amount. The zuchinni, butternut and pumpkins are exploding. I will take photos when I can fire up the weedeater and mower and get it looking good.
^
The tall weedy grass around the edges of the beds and the compost piles look like trash but the chickens love them when I pull them up.
^
The green herons who are building a nest in my pond are sounding off almost constantly. I am thrilled to have them. Still don't have a huge amount of frogs like we did last year. Don't know why.
^
I went to Kroger and found that they have a special on wines. If you buy 6 bottles of wine, you get 20% off. I bought 6 and none of them were over 5.99 each because a ton of them were on sale on top about that. So I will be going back for more. I am stocking up. They also provided a wonderful cloth carry bag that is re-usable.
^
Also, they have a sale on 2# of the most huge wonderful mouthwatering blackberries for a killer price and no limit. I bought 32#. I will freeze all but 2. I have 16 on trays in the freezer now and will vacume seal into single serving sizes when frozen.
^
Also they had bananas for .39 per pound. when they become ripe, I will dip them in lemon juice and freeze. Once frozen i will again, freeze in vacume sealed bags. I can use those for smoothies, ice cream and more during the lean months or winter.
^
I am keeping my eyes on the small wild blackberries around my property and plan on harvesting those also. If I can beat the birds. I am going to eat the 30 bluberries growing on my new bushes. I will freeze next year or the year after.
^

No comments: