Thursday, April 16, 2009

CHORES AND PICKLED ONIONS

I got home about 5 tonight from the hospital and knew the weather is getting ready to turn rainy. So I decided to get outside chores kind of done. So I mowed for a couple of hours, and on the way up the steps I noticed how messy it looked around the front spigot where so many of the wild onions are growing. So I decided to pull a bunch up to dry some more. I ended up with an armload.

I came in and ran a sink full of cold water and soaked them clean. Then I started to trim the roots off. I dicovered that if you trim the root off, then squeeze the head of the onion at the base where it narrows...the neck?....a tiny pearl onion pops out! This is completely cool. So I cleared all of them of their pearls and filled two pint jars full along with some of the buds, mixed up a sweet pickling solution.



Now with the boiling solution in them they are sitting upside down for a while and then I flipped them up to seal. I will date them and add them to my shelf. I still have to dice the green parts and put them in the dehydrator.



My daughter cleaned the living room and her room, bathroom and the boys bedroom getting everything ready for them to come for the weekend.
*
The thunder is getting worse outside and it is starting to rain. I have not fed the chicks yet. I will wait for a break in the rain. I did load everyone up on long grass and weeds.
*
I lost another meat chick. They are killing the gently giant white ones I guess because they won't fight back. I will begin to put them in the freezer next week.
*
Can anyone tell me if they have to age several days before I freeze them?

4 comments:

Leasmom said...

I was told to use them fresh, refrigerate for a few days. Then some people say the same thing about freezing. I put mine directly into the freezer but I didn't use them for about 4 months or more and they were completely tender. So, not sure if theres a right way or not.

ChristyACB said...

Those are regular wild yard onions? Mine never get that big in the bulb. I didn't know those were good to eat at all.

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Those onions look fantastic! Sending (((hugs)))

Tracy Bruring said...

Patrice thank you. I will have to experiment. christy I answered on your blog and here too. Yes all wild onions are edible. mine are not just plain wild onions but some kind of egyptian walking onion. Thank you Jennifer for all the hugs. Christy has a book review for a book called One Second After which I am buying this weekend and taking up to the hospital to see if my nephew would like me to read it to him.