Saturday, April 18, 2009

BOILING VINEGAR AND SPICES AND MUD

First an update on my nephew: The doctors tried to reduce the ventilator so that he could start to breathe on his own. This is way harder said than done. He panicked and had to be sedated again. They will try again tomorrow. Please pray for God's strength to pour into my sister. This is taking it's tole on her badly. Again, I have not had to watch my child go through this. I feel that God is the only one who can meet her where she is. He lost a child too. "The" child.

Ok, I have discussed with Jayden..the fire pit digger....the new plans for the fire pit. If it is shaped like a banjo...we can build a fire in the round part and then pull the wonderful sizzling mesquite coals over to the handle part to cook out burgers. He is all in. He found his shovel and started to work. We will see how it turns out. Right now it looks pretty bad.






Tonight I took 2 dozen eggs that I boiled this morning, peeled and cooled, and and packed them into 1 qt jar and 2 pint jars.








I used the following recipe:

DARK AND SPICY EGGS
1½ cups cider vinegar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon mixed pickling spice
¼ teaspoon liquid smoke or hickory smoke salt
2 teaspoons salt





But I didn't have any liquid smoke so we will have to see how it turns out.

Here is what I remember from my childhood in WV. I loved pickled eggs. Mom always made them after easter. But she made them with the liquid from her pickled beets. So to me pickled eggs were always purple.

I still remember seeing pickled eggs in PA when I moved there...in clear vinegar! So wrong!

4 comments:

Leasmom said...

I never had pickled eggs before but what a great way to preserve and use the eggs. I think that would be something Lea would like. She likes sour things so vinegar with any spices would work for her and then hard boiled eggs, which is the way she likes her eggs-(who knew...and hopefully she won't have an allergic reaction to the eggs), so I would like to try that.

Tracy Bruring said...

The next batch I am making will be dill flavored with clear vinegar

ChristyACB said...

I loved pickled eggs growing up! Loved 'em to pieces!

I'll be bookmarking your entry for keepers. Let us know how they turned out, will you?

You sister and nephew have my best wishes and thoughts with them. They worked down my vent too and it is a panicky feeling but it does pass. Helps if someone holds a hand and stays within visual and hearing range and explains what it going on over and over. (Memory fades really fast, like 10 seconds, so it must be repeated.) At least it did for me.

Ruth Trowbridge said...

Thanks for your recipe - Peace