Monday, December 15, 2008

SLOW FOOD

Ok after my "freak" chicken that I bought at the store, I decided that I am done buying meat at the grocery store. I went on a quest to find a local farmer who sells real meat. Boy did I find it. I went online to Local Harvest and found Rehoboth Ranch in Greenville. http://www.rehobothranch.com/

I just got back. What an amazing ranch. It is winter and it is beautiful. I can only imagine how beautiful it will be in the summer.


The home is modest. I called ahead and told the owner I would be there, so when I arived, I saw the little store next to the house, and it had smoke coming from the chimney. The inside was very clean and had a wood burning stove.


I felt the prices were very reasonable considering I was buying organic grass fed beef, organic eggs and chicken. Wow do these chickens look different that the ones you buy at the store. They have color. I also bought a bag of soup bones. There is a lot of meat on these bones. I will cook those up today into stock. Fighting this cold I need broth. 2 doz organic eggs and a jar of local honey.



The beef is so red and beautiful. I can't wait to taste it.


The little store had some other things on the shelves. But it was sleeting outside and I had a long drive home. I didn't want to get caught out and have the roads get slick.


I am baking a turkey tonight. I will serve it for dinner and then freeze the left overs for later.


IT IS SOOOO COLD HERE. Gotta meet the vet to give my horse her shots and then come back and build a fire.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

You are making me hungry! Get to feeling better soon.

Tracy Bruring said...

I am trying so hard. I feel like I have wasted so much of my vacation being sick. But I guess it is ok not to work my hiney off during vacation. I just feel like I should be doing more.

Leasmom said...

Ever since you told me about that deformed chicken, I've repeated that story to several family and friends. I am definately ordering meat chickens and turkeys this spring so we can provide our own meat supply!!! Good job on finding an alternative.

Tracy Bruring said...

Yep I know I will be raising my own meat birds eventually, but in the mean time I just could not make myself buy another piece of meat from the store. When i saw this farm and how nice it was, and how normal the chickens looked, I knew it was worth the drive. Man you should have smelled the stock cooking tonight. It filled the house with the most wonderful smell.