Saturday, July 5, 2008

THE TURKEYS ARRIVE

Ok I am doing it! Online with the hatchery, just typed in the 16 digit number for my credit card and hit enter. Not quite the way your granny ordered poultry, but it's they way I order poultry. Makes me wonder how my grand kids will order. I can't begin to explain how it felt when I hit enter. That was it. I am on the list. My turkey babies are going to hatch on April 14th. They will be at the Royse City post office at 6am on the 16th! Within moments (maybe seconds) of hitting enter, the weather came on...yep you guessed it...a blue northern!!! IN TEXAS....IN APRIL!! For any of you that are familiar with TX, April should be hot...or at least comfortable. No Northerns Allowed!! I believe it had something to do with my ordering turkeys. Yep on the morning I picked up the babies, the wind was whipping and it was about 38 degrees and I had no power in the shed and the wind? You guessed it...straight out of the East! the open side of the turkey pen! So guess where they slept? The guest room. Where all good civilized turkeys should sleep right? They were so cold...they must be. After all they had been in a cold deliver truck for 2 days. But I was ready! I had the heat light going...the big red one that the local feed storm sold me (the same kind that keeps your food hot and germ free at Luby's)...AND a space heater. Two had died enroute...20 left. I had read the book and knew what to do. I didn't know that they would try to go swimming in the water container. Try as I might one after another would get it's self wet, chilled and keel over and die. I had lost 6 when my mom and dad decided to go over while I was at work to see if they could figure out what was happening. I got the call that all aspiring farmers hate to get. "Daughter...you are roasting your turkeys a little early aren't you?" Ok so when a little one got wet it would get chilled if I didn't crank the heat right? Kind of, except the poor little things were probably trying to cool off since it was about 150 in the guest room. My dad opened the window while my mom took them and dunked their little feet into cold water to revive them. Dad got busy and boxed in the roost box outside so that they would have more room to get away from my good intentions. And 12 survived! Ok Now I know what I am doing! Really!!! Now I am ready for Chickens!!!













First day outside.2 wks 5 days old











Hoping to keep one










3 weeks old
















5 weeks old














2.5 Months old!

No comments: