Wednesday, July 30, 2008

BEAUTY IN THE HEAT


The Texas heat is exactly what makes Texas mornings so amazingly wonderful. After a day of 105 degrees, the morning 78 is almost cold. My days seem to keep me away from home a lot these days. So this morning I took 15 min to sit in the front yard at sunrise and just allow myself to be amazed. At times like these I know for a fact that there is a God and he is especially fond of every person on this planet to have created such a masterpiece. I wish I could share with you the smell of weeds and herbs as the cool breeze blew to me from the field. As the sun crested the horizon the sky was an amazing shade of clear blue with beautiful tufts of white and grey clouds. V's of white egrets flew right over my house sometimes so close I could see them turn their head down and look right at me. Hummers flew in and took long sips of the cool nectar waiting in 4 feeders hanging along my porch. Pictures never do scenes like this justice but I have to try. There is a peace (lined with longing) knowing that I will not be gardening at all this year. I may plant a large crop of garlic as this must be planted here around October, but until February, that will be it. The rest of the time will be spent building up raised beds and compost piles, finishing chicken coops and painting. That should fill up what is left of the summer. Can you believe tomorrow is July 31 and summer is almost over?










1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well well well......