Friday, July 4, 2008

My Turkeys

At Christmas dinner 2007, with all the family out at my new farm, I was content. But not for long. My dad said something simple..."Wouldn't it be nice to raise our own thanksgiving turkey for next Thanksgiving?" Well that little comment grew and grew. Then I bought a book called Storeys Basic Country Skills and lo and behold there it was. The turkey pen to beat all turkey pens. I showed it to my dad and off we went. Carpenter that he is he knew just how to tweek it and in a couple of days he handed me a shopping list for Home Depot. My daughter in law was with me and wasn't getting enough exercise so I enlisted her and her truck. Bless her heart she is so strong...pushing that heavy cart around while I chanted "We're almost done". The next day was Saturday and my dad came over to start. The smell of new wood and saw dust makes his eyes glaze over. I believe if he could he would sleep at the lumber yard. We all helped build the turkey pen, even the grandkids.










Well after several days of dust and sweat and sawdust the turkey pen was done. It had legs, an nice indoor protected roost box and a long feed box. We were ready for turkeys.

































2 comments:

Peggy said...

Love your blog!

Faith said...

Funny! Yeah I have those conversations as well. Like a Christmas Goose, too. LOL

I love Storey's publications. Lots of good basic info in easily presented ways. When I was youngER I bought quite a few of them. LOL