Wednesday, July 16, 2008

MURDER ON THE FARM


Farm life is very true and very real. But it is also very hard sometimes. Some people have the time and money to raise nothing but pets on their farms. I do not have that luxury. Neither did my grand parents. I believe that God provided me this farm with so much potential for self reliance, but I need to do my part...even the hard part. But today I can see the benefit of partial vegetarianism. Culling a weak animal from your flock or heard may not be easy, but it is very necessary. As I was waiting for my friend to call me and trying to build up the courage to go out and kill my big tom turkey who had developed a hernia, I had an epiphany. If I did not overcome this hurdle, I never would. What was holding me back? Suddenly a mental wall went up and I knew right then that I could do this. I, in my pj's, slid on my tie died farm clogs, grabbed my hatchet in hands clad in yellow dish washing gloves, tied back my hair and off I went, briefly wondering what my neighbors would think if they saw me like this. My second thought (excuse) was if he wasn't within reach of the door of the cage I would not be able to do this. He was laying right in front of the door and simply stood up when I opened the door as if to say, "I thought today would be the day." I took his legs and wrapped my arms around him and did not make eye contact. He died quickly and calmly. I will get better at this. Maybe next time maybe I won't cry so much.

3 comments:

rwhite said...

Turkey Tom...it's what's for dinner.

Leasmom said...

You are much braver than me. Everyone keeps telling me I can process my 4 chickens myself but I don't think I'm ready yet...you've overcome your fear...good for you!!! Next time I'll ask you to walk me through mine but for now...off to the processor-lol.

Leasmom said...

I did it Tracy, I killed my first chicken and I have mixed emotions about it. I know now I can do it if need be...