Monday, September 6, 2010

PESTO!

I walked outside to the kitchen garden to plant broccoli and found that the basil had exploded overnight...I swear it was not that big yesterday.

Yesterday J and I transplanted the cuttings that I took last month. They have been on the kitchen window sill and had rooted nicely.

I guess that event in the front yard caused the basil in the back yard to morph???

Anyway, I was merciless in my cutting and got over a gallon of fresh basil.

I brought it in and washed it and used the salad spinner to dry it.

I have no cheese and can't afford to buy it right now, but I have olive oil, walnuts (instead of pine nuts), lemon juice and garlic.

I made about 2.5 cups of pesto. I put it in 3 seperate jars with a thin layer of olive oil on top and put it in the freezer.

Winter homemade pizza, with homegrown pesto will remind me of the warm days of summer.

No comments: