Tuesday, August 19, 2008

THE TURKEYS ARE GONE

My dad finally admitted that he liked the turkeys too much to help me kill them. They are too big for me to kill alone and all my friends are animal lovers!!! Now What??? Thank goodness for craigslist.org. I listed my turkeys last night and had an email waiting for me after work that a local man wanted to buy all of them. He, his wife, his brother and his little mother came, paid cash and they put them into a cage in the back of the truck. When I asked them if they were going to butcher them, the man nodded yes...the little mother nodded no. He scowled at her...she said "No they are too pretty!" He was twice her size, and he smiled at me and said, "I guess we will butcher some and keep some." And this little woman smiled up at her son with the same kind of love that I feel when I smile up at my big son. The money I made paid for the birds and the food. I think I might try to buy another batch to sell at Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Leasmom said...

WOW...good for you!!! I wish we lived near I would buy one from you. I wish I could raise turkeys but not in our crowded suburban lot. Yes, definately do it again. People will be looking for them around then. I know I want some good fresh turkey for thanksgiving.

Tracy Bruring said...

Patrice they have a mini turkey that is not much bigger than a roasting chicken. I believe they top out at 10# You may be able to do that.